Computer Models of "The Mind" (SS2018)
VO 501.041 (1SSt/2 ECTS), SE 501.045 (2SSt/3 ECTS)
compmind2018 (AT( OFAI.at
Wednesdays 14-16, Seminar room, AID, MUW
Attention: changed street address!
ground floor, Währinger Straße 25a, A 1090
Start: Wednesday, March 7, 2018
The lecture (Vorlesung, VO) and seminar (SE) on Computer Models of
"The Mind" provide an introduction to the domain of computational
Topics addressed include: the notion of
"mind" in scientific disciplines; approaches to mentalizing (theory of
mind); best practice in scientific modeling, cognitive modeling, and
computational cognitive modeling; typologies of computational
cognitive models; cognitive architectures and cognitive systems; and
main paradigms of cognitive modeling.
Each topic is introduced and motivated in terms of specific questions,
challenges, and needs in cognitive science research; presented using
specific and seminal examples; and assessed in a critical discussion
identifying successes, failures, and open issues, as well as the
impact on other areas of cognitive science.
The seminar (SE) offers a highly recommended opportunity to reflect on and "safely exercise" the conceptual information presented in the lecture (VO).
Seminar topics are identified collaboratively, so as to best match individual competences and interests.
- 2018-02-26: Website online
- Registration Modalities
- All course participants are required to be (co-)registered with the Medical University
- Make sure you regularly read all email sent to your firstname.lastname@example.org email address (or set up forwarding of all such emails to an account you read regularly).
- Hard deadline for registration: end of April 2018.
- Access to materials
- Registered participants will receive credentials for the OFAI moodle, where all materials related to the courses are offered.
- Credentials for access to online materials are sent to the email addresses of registered participants (see previous items) with the Medical University of Vienna (i.e., typically: n<immatriculation number>@students.meduniwien.ac.at).
- You should receive access credentials within 72 hours of registering for the courses on Med.Campus.
- In case of delayed co-registration with MUW, do send a request for credentials from your academic email address, specifying:
- your full name,
- home institution,
- matriculation number,
- your study (name and ID),
- which course(s) you intend to take (VO, SE).
- VO Exams
- First written exam: 2018-06-27
compmind2018 (AT( OFAI.at
(Last W3C Link Checker
validation run on 2018-02-26